Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Glitter Incident

Boo for missing another Freshly Made Sketch!  But at least I didn't miss two in a row.  Here's FMS8:

 

I needed a birthday card for my SIL, and I tend to add extra glitz and glam when I make cards for her, so I wanted to try out my newly acquired Dazzling Diamonds.  It was my first foray into glitter.  Although the final product actually glitters quite nicely, the process was not my finest moment.  Here's the card:

I apologize for the poor picture quality.  I forgot to take the picture before I gave the card away, so I classily took it with a cell phone after the fact.

Long story short, I used pewter embossing powder, and sprinkled the dazzling diamonds on immediately after heating it, but it dries quickly, so I only got a little sparkle on some of the letters.  Which led me to my brilliant thought... if I sprinkle it on each letter immediately after heating, it should still be melted enough to adhere.  Except I didn't think it through all the way.  I ended up sprinkling it on the L while the heat gun was blowing on the B, which in case you didn't notice, is right next to the L.  Glitter EVERYWHERE.  And I didn't stop after the first letter, once the glitter was in the air, I just went for it.  I can't imagine how much glitter I wasted, but it worked... you can see the LBT is glittering away nicely!  Not that I'll be doing it again!

Supplies Used
Card Stock:  Melon Mambo, Whisper White, Lucky Limeade, Concord Crush, Cheerful Treat DSP (Hostess)
Ink:  Melon Mambo, Versamark
Stamp Sets:  Well Scripted, Broadsheet Alphabet
Other:  Big Shot, Designer Frames Embossing Folder, Finial Press Embossing Folder, Wide Oval Punch, Basic Rhinestones, Pewter EP, Dazzling Diamonds, 5/8" Organza Ribbon, Silver Twine (non-Stampin' Up)



5 comments:

  1. Such a pretty card CJ, the embossed background is lovely as well as the CC sentiment panel - but I think you nailed the glitter foray ... your SIL will be pleased with the result ... great job!!!
    Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that glitter is always an adventure! But the card came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, and I love that DSP! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just glad you got the picture!! You had me laughing (with you) about the glitter. I always put that in the "ask me how I know" category! Glitter seems to have a lot of those for me. The card is pretty! Glad you joined us this week at Freshly Made Sketches.

    Jen Timko

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job CJ! I too have done the cell phone photo thing! LOL! Thanks for playing with Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete